Ads & Recent Photos
Recent Images
Random images
Welcome To Roj Bash Kurdistan 

Kurdish word

Practice speaking Kurdish here, Don't be shy , Mijar û tewer bi Kurdî

Re: Kurdish word

PostAuthor: matin123 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:52 am

leopard i think is plling. horse is also esp (with kurdish spelling) or asp. dog also = seg in kurdish too but i learned dog as "gemal" in ardalani dialect (from sanandaj). fox is rewi. wolf is gurg. and i think you will find this funny... khorus or rooster in kurdish is kele shir (kale shir) lol
Last edited by matin123 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
matin123
Shermin
Shermin

Highscores: 0
Arcade winning challenges: 0
Nationality: Hispanic

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostAuthor: KCF » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:11 am

pileng-tiger (kurmanji)
Asp/Asb=Horse- Hesp (kurmanji)
Sag=Dog- Sa(kurmanji),
Kark/Morgh (Chiken)-merishk (kurmanji)
Roobaah (Fox)-ruvi (kurmanji),
Gorg (Wolf)-gor(kurmanji)
KCF
Shermin
Shermin

Nationality: Kurd

PostAuthor: matin123 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:29 am

Arya wrote:
That is an interesting one for Khoroos! It reminds me of the Persian word for Ostrich=ShotorMorgh which really means Camel-Bird! There is a funny joke with regards to ShotorMorgh. They asked the ShotorMorgh to move around baar (material)..it said I am a Morgh (bird). They ask it to a lay an egg, it said I am a camel (shotor).

:lol:
matin123
Shermin
Shermin

PostAuthor: Teshub » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:15 pm

KurdiBoy wrote:Its accepted among many Kurds that Şerr is fight and Jeng means war.

Sherr means both fight and war.
ceng means war.
there are also other words for fight: qra, kêshe...

Teshub
Shermin
Shermin

PostAuthor: Teshub » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:26 pm

Arya wrote:Supas Kak Matin,

I think actually Sherr might be from semitic/Arabic شر also. Sharr means Harm in Arabic and it is in the Qur'an.

Maar also means snake in Persian. But interestingly, in old Armenian they use the term Maar/Maaraaj to mean Mede which is coincidence probably. Possibly the Maad -> Maar d->r transformation? In Mazandarani Iranic language Maar is used for Mother.

In Persian the word for fight/war is Razm, Jang, Nabard, Peykar, Kaarzaar and possibly others. Arabic uses Harb of course. I think probably Jang is definitely also shared Iranic word with Kurdish and Razm too.

About the words:
Parzûn
Lixav
Nalbend
Gopal
Xwezayî

Would be happy if you explain. Parzun not sure. Lixav too. Nalba'nd means Horse Shoe in Persian but is it something else? گوپال Gopal means Mace in Persian. Not sure what Xwezayi means.

Also Dargah is a shared Iranic word.
Supas.

Parzûn = strainer, filtre
Lixav = bridle, reins
Xwezeyî= natural.
and you guessed the other two words correctly.

Teshub
Shermin
Shermin

PostAuthor: KurdiBoy » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:57 am

Arya wrote:Supas.

Now that I think of it, Lixav is said as لگام/لجام Ligam in Persian. Lots of Iranic words have the m->v transformation specially for Kurdish , but even some other Iranic languages like Luri, Baluchi and Vafsi (dialect near Tehran). Naam (name) becomes Naav.

Others include Kav and Persian Kamaan (bow)
Kurdish Haav (Summer) and Avesta Haamina

Xwezeyi is interesting word after thinking about it, it seems to come from the roots Xwo (self)(Persian: Xwed) and Zeyi (born, living..) like self-living or self-subsistence. Mayabe I am wrong, but an equivalent in Persian would be Xwod-Zai or Xwod-Zist.

Not sure if there is a close word though for Parzun in Persian. There is a type of Horse برذون/برزون which a type of horse but that word is Arabic due to the fact that it has Dh ذ. It's mix race of Horse, a cross between the "Arabian" horse and Tatar horse.

Do you speak/understand Kurdish?Well I mean a Kurdish dialect.

I from from Iranian Kurdistan and we have many words similar to Persian.

Oh and I wanna see if you know what these words mean. And tell me the Farsi word for it. You can give me Farsi words I will see if I know them. Thanks in advance.
خه‌و Xew
اسان Asan
Ghellet غه‌ڵه‌ت
3esll عسڵ
Diro درۆ
ڕاس Rras
ه‌قڵ Eqll
KurdiBoy
Shermin
Shermin

PostAuthor: Teshub » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:59 am

Kurdish for summer is 'havîn'', and in some dialects hamîn.
Last edited by Teshub on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teshub
Shermin
Shermin

PostAuthor: matin123 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:52 am

Kak Arya, i think عسڵ means "main" or "original" . In Persian you can read this as both 3esll and asal(honey). but in kurdish you write the h in between letters. i don't have a arabic keyboard so i will use one of kak kurdi boy's words. notice how in غه‌ڵه‌ت their is a heh in between the ghein and lam and the lam and the teh. so asal would have a heh between the aein and the sin and the sin and the lam. this is how kurdo arabic script works and one of the many differences that sets it apart from perso arabic script.

i apologize if you already know this but i thought i should tell you just in case because i myself didn't know at first either :D
matin123
Shermin
Shermin

PostAuthor: Teshub » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:12 pm

matin123 wrote:Kak Arya, i think عسڵ means "main" or "original" . In Persian you can read this as both 3esll and asal(honey). but in kurdish you write the h in between letters. i don't have a arabic keyboard so i will use one of kak kurdi boy's words. notice how in غه‌ڵه‌ت their is a heh in between the ghein and lam and the lam and the teh. so asal would have a heh between the aein and the sin and the sin and the lam. this is how kurdo arabic script works and one of the many differences that sets it apart from perso arabic script.

i apologize if you already know this but i thought i should tell you just in case because i myself didn't know at first either :D

Yes,
It's عه‌سڵ or حه‌سڵ from Arabic أصل
! :lol:

Teshub
Shermin
Shermin

PostAuthor: matin123 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:53 pm

Arya wrote:Thank you very much. Yes I am familiar with Kurdish alphabet when it uses the Kufi Script and h to mark the vowels. It is a smart idea for modernizing although in my opinion not really the best for Calligraphy which I am a fan of. But again Kurdish has kept more vowels than Persian so it might be necessary. On عسل that does mean honey (Persian/Kurdish for it is Angabin from Middle Iranian Hangabin) but the Arabic word for main and original is اصل. In Iranic languages we do not differentiate between ع and ا and س and ص when pronouncing them. But Persian writes them as they are spelled in Arabic. This way Arabic words in Persian are more recognizable than Arabic words for Kurdish. For example Taam means Food in some Kurdish dialects and it is written as تام. But it is really from the Arabic طعام Ta'3am. So Kurdish actually Kurdicizes the Arabic word much more.

Kak Arya, as you pointed out in Kurdish not all the Arabic letters are used and since ص (saat) does not exist in Kurdo Arabic script , أصل would be spelled with a س rather than a ص. and honey in Kurdish is هه نگوينor henguîn. and regarding Ta'3am, i think it's an Arabic word for taste not food. in Hebrew they also use Ta'3am for the meaning of taste. for example meod ta'3am - very tasty. food in arabic i believe is ma'kal.
matin123
Shermin
Shermin

PostAuthor: Teshub » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:44 pm

matin123 wrote:
Arya wrote:Thank you very much. Yes I am familiar with Kurdish alphabet when it uses the Kufi Script and h to mark the vowels. It is a smart idea for modernizing although in my opinion not really the best for Calligraphy which I am a fan of. But again Kurdish has kept more vowels than Persian so it might be necessary. On عسل that does mean honey (Persian/Kurdish for it is Angabin from Middle Iranian Hangabin) but the Arabic word for main and original is اصل. In Iranic languages we do not differentiate between ع and ا and س and ص when pronouncing them. But Persian writes them as they are spelled in Arabic. This way Arabic words in Persian are more recognizable than Arabic words for Kurdish. For example Taam means Food in some Kurdish dialects and it is written as تام. But it is really from the Arabic طعام Ta'3am. So Kurdish actually Kurdicizes the Arabic word much more.

Kak Arya, as you pointed out in Kurdish not all the Arabic letters are used and since ص (saat) does not exist in Kurdo Arabic script , أصل would be spelled with a س rather than a ص. and honey in Kurdish is هه نگوينor henguîn. and regarding Ta'3am, i think it's an Arabic word for taste not food. in Hebrew they also use Ta'3am for the meaning of taste. for example meod ta'3am - very tasty. food in arabic i believe is ma'kal.

ta3m and ta3am in Arabic are different words.
I think you confused the two.

Teshub
Shermin
Shermin

PostAuthor: fle » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:09 am

matin123 wrote: ...it's funny how many words are shared in persian and kurdish

komek, is a Persian word and in pure Kurdish we say Yarmeti
pir is a Persian word and in Kurdish we say Betemen
Mar is the only word here, which is the same in both languages.

idk why this matin boy is surprised of finding words, which are the same between Persian and Kurdish!.
fle
Nubar
Nubar

PostAuthor: Qamishlo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:54 pm

Hi All
Does anyone know what does the name " Mêlîn " mean?
It's a kurdish word but i don't know what does it mean :(
Qamishlo
Shermin
Shermin

PostAuthor: fle » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:30 pm

Qamishlo wrote:Hi All

Are you sure it is a Kurdish word!? I don't think so.
fle
Nubar
Nubar

PostAuthor: Qamishlo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:42 pm

fle wrote:
Qamishlo wrote:Hi All

Are you sure it is a Kurdish word!? I don't think so.

No, I am not sure. Whatever it be does anyone know what does it mean ?
Qamishlo
Shermin
Shermin

PreviousNext

Return to Chat Kurdi