Navigator
Facebook
Search
Ads & Recent Photos
Recent Images
Random images
Welcome To Roj Bash Kurdistan 

A Kurdish princess in Cannes ?

A place for talking about art such as Kurdish Movies, painting, sculpture, photography، novelist...

PostAuthor: Piling » Fri May 16, 2014 3:31 pm

SILVERED WATER, SYRIA SELF-PORTRAIT : by Ossama Mohammed and Wiam Simav Bedirxan.

SYNOPSIS
In Syria, everyday, YouTubers film then die; others kill then film.
In Paris, driven by my unexhaustible love for Syria, I find that I can only film the sky and edit the footage posted.
From within the tension between my estrangement in France and the revolution, an encounter happenned. A young Kurdish woman from Homs began to chat with me, asking: 'If your camera were here, in Homs, what would you be filming?'. Silvered Water is the story of that encounter.

She is Kurdish and her name is BEDIRXAN. And she writes it in the Kurdish alphabet from Hawar… So she is probably a member of that dynasty.

Critics are praising the movie.

http://www.festival-cannes.fr/en/archiv ... /2014.html
Piling
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

Highscores: 2
Arcade winning challenges: 3
Nationality: European

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: A Kurdish princess in Cannes ?

PostAuthor: Anthea » Fri May 16, 2014 7:40 pm

phpBB [video]

For a film to make it to the Cannes Film Festival it must be good :D
Good Thoughts Good Words Good Deeds
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

Highscores: 3
Arcade winning challenges: 6
Nationality: Kurd by heart

PostAuthor: Piling » Fri May 16, 2014 8:12 pm

Last year, Hiner Saleem was praised in Cannes for My Sweet Pepperland. Now it is a Bedirxan daughter. Is there a Kurdish lobby in Cannes ? :-D

Here is the presentation for the press :

http://makna-presse.com/IMG/pdf/silvere ... nglais.pdf

I suppose that many (non Kurdish) people will wonder why this name : 'Silvered Water'. Only expert in Kurdish can know :-D

Sîm : silver ; av : water ; so sîmav means silvered water or quicksilver.

So the name of the movie and the name of Simav Bedirxan are the same.
Piling
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Anthea » Fri May 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Piling wrote:Last year, Hiner Saleem was praised in Cannes for My Sweet Pepperland. Now it is a Bedirxan daughter. Is there a Kurdish lobby in Cannes ? :-D

Here is the presentation for the press :

http://makna-presse.com/IMG/pdf/silvere ... nglais.pdf

I suppose that many (non Kurdish) people will wonder why this name : 'Silvered Water'. Only expert in Kurdish can know :-D

Sîm : silver ; av : water ; so sîmav means silvered water or quicksilver.

So the name of the movie and the name of Simav Bedirxan are the same.

I love the name Simav - the idea that a woman is named Quicksilver appeals to me :ymdevil:
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Piling » Mon May 19, 2014 6:20 pm

Sîmav Bedirxan made the Une of Le Monde (one of the most prestigious newspaper in France. She states to come at Cannes, 'as a Kurdish, unveiled, woman'.
Piling
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: KabirKuhi » Mon May 19, 2014 8:18 pm

Piling wrote:Image

Sîmav Bedirxan made the Une of Le Monde (one of the most prestigious newspaper in France. She states to come at Cannes, 'as a Kurdish, unveiled, woman'.

Roflmao... do the writers at le monde know anything about the middle-east? Outside of their saudi-arabia cliches? How backward and ignorant are westerners of west-asia.

KabirKuhi
Shermin
Shermin

Highscores: 0
Arcade winning challenges: 0
Nationality: Kurd

PostAuthor: Piling » Mon May 19, 2014 8:37 pm

She told that, not the journalists. As a Bedirxan Kurd, freshly escaped from Syria she is not precisely a 'Western voice'. Telling systematically 'that is a Western influence' each time a Middle Easterner woman claims that she just want to be free as a Kurd and as a woman is like these Arabs or Iranians stating that all Kurdish rising for independence is only a Zionist plot.
Piling
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: KabirKuhi » Mon May 19, 2014 8:59 pm

Piling wrote:She told that, not the journalists. As a Bedirxan Kurd, freshly escaped from Syria she is not precisely a 'Western voice'. Telling systematically 'that is a Western influence' each time a Middle Easterner woman claims that she just want to be free as a Kurd and as a woman is like these Arabs or Iranians stating that all Kurdish rising for independence is only a Zionist plot.

It's not about conspiracies or "western influence". You shouldn't accept everything a middle-easterner tells you. Some middle-easterners want attention and "recognition" by the western establishment, by playing on fabricated personal stories, stereotypes and cliche held notions(there are plenty of people who make a career out of it), to westerners with a confirmation bias, or with cliche notions of the middle-east/middle-eastern societies/middle-easterners. Today f.ex there was a woman who lives in a immigrant neighborhood, who claims she is harassed for not wearing a veil in the newspaper. My aunt has worked there for 25 years in the community center and talks to a lot of different people, she has never been harassed, neither has the 10 other unveiled women who i know personally and talk, go there frequently since they were children.

Sometimes having a middle-easterner talk shit about their own community, country and society, is a career move for talentless individuals, who can satisfy the need by sensationalist/conservative westerners for "critical opinions" from communities who are in the media scrutiny. It's a farce, like reality shows and other forms of media-whoring. I could claim tomorrow that I received death threats by my father, for not going to the mosque, and western journalists would believe me. You as a expert on the middle-east should be more responsible, and not accept everything anyone tells you, just because you believe your culture is superior to others. I'm not saying that women aren't forced to wear veils(that might be the case, but it's the exception rather than the rule, unless we're talking about saudi-arabia or Iran). But it has to be the height of the most ridicules to make your debut in western-media as a "Freshly escaped oppressed Kurdish woman, who is free from the evil anti-woman veil and society". There is just something tacky about it. When I look at the societies we live in, it just doesn't check out. I've lived in kurdistan and middle-eastern countries for 3 years.

It's the same with honor-killings. 10-20 women get killed per year in the entire region of kurdistan due to honor killings, suddenly it's an all important, super-priority for human-rights organizations and other western NGOs and media bureaus. While you hear absolutely nothing about societies best sides. That's only reserved for powerful societies who have the money to promote themselves. They also never talk about other forms of killing women, if they happen in the west. It's only a cultural phenomenon if it happens outside of the west( a very centric notion of crime).

KabirKuhi
Shermin
Shermin

PostAuthor: Anthea » Mon May 19, 2014 10:05 pm

The women who go to community centres are obviously not the ones who are controlled and suppressed by husbands and families.

The number of honour killings that have been recorded are just the tip of the iceberg.
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: KabirKuhi » Mon May 19, 2014 10:16 pm

Anthea wrote:The women who go to community centres are obviously not the ones who are controlled and suppressed by husbands and families.

she wasn't talking about her husband and family. Her claim was that people in the community were saying demeaning things to her and mistreating her, for not wearing a veil. As it turns out.. it's bullshit, even other women in the community denounced her.

Anthea wrote:The number of honour killings that have been recorded are just the tip of the iceberg.

According to who? You? Have you ever lived outside of britain and the west with their sensationalist newspapers? I've lived around kurds and west-asians all my life, both in the west and in the middle-east, never have i ever heard of an honor-killing that wasn't reported by a news paper every half a decade, not inside a community or outside or hear say. Drug and crime related deaths are 100x more common than honor killings. There are other problems, why this hypocrisy on one issue?

KabirKuhi
Shermin
Shermin

PostAuthor: Anthea » Tue May 20, 2014 12:34 am

I think in the West we have almost become almost immune to drug violence and black on black gang violence - something such as honour killings are rare in the UK but not unknown :(
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Piling » Tue May 20, 2014 7:01 am

Here is the complete interview :

http://www.lemonde.fr/festival-de-canne ... 66360.html

And she says exactly :

Simav n'a été militante d'aucun parti, ne s'est engagée dans aucun combat. Elle qui « en tant que femme, en tant que non voilée et en tant que Kurde » n'a jamais trouvé sa place dans la société syrienne, n'a cherché qu'à se rendre utile aux victimes.

that as a woman, unveiled and Kurd, she never found "her own place in the Syrian society" (in Homs, I can imagine ! that is not Aleppo where Kurds, Christians and Turkmens had their own district…Homs is like Hamah, a city of black ghosts) but she has only tried to help the victims. Now you can claim that it is a distorted view etc., but obviously you know nothing about Syria and Kurds of Syria.

Another paper in English :

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/kt-article- ... ertainment

Piling
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: KabirKuhi » Tue May 20, 2014 7:34 am

Piling wrote:Here is the complete interview :

http://www.lemonde.fr/festival-de-canne ... 66360.html

And she says exactly :

Simav n'a été militante d'aucun parti, ne s'est engagée dans aucun combat. Elle qui « en tant que femme, en tant que non voilée et en tant que Kurde » n'a jamais trouvé sa place dans la société syrienne, n'a cherché qu'à se rendre utile aux victimes.

that as a woman, unveiled and Kurd, she never found "her own place in the Syrian society" (in Homs, I can imagine ! that is not Aleppo where Kurds, Christians and Turkmens had their own district…Homs is like Hamah, a city of black ghosts) but she has only tried to help the victims. Now you can claim that it is a distorted view etc., but obviously you know nothing about Syria and Kurds of Syria.

Another paper in English :

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/kt-article- ... ertainment

I've been to homs and damascus 5 times. What I saw there was mostly hijab wearing older married women(which is the norm for muslim countries outside conservative ones like Saudi-arabia and iran). And non-hijab western-fashioned wearing young women. So to call it a city of black ghosts, is as valid as calling Paris a city of baguette eating bigoted snobs. Something I'm sure you'd object to it. It's true, I'm not much in contact with syrian kurds. After all I'm not from their community. My ties are more with EK and SK. But I know enough about Syria and west-Asia in general, to give comments, my father also lived for a long time, he told me a lot about the country. I'm not going to buy into every story from there, because it it appeals to my cliche-drowsed sensibilities. "I'm a newly arrived refugee, that makes me an undeniable authority, everything i say is 100% truth". Did it ever occur to you that people in the middle-east, especially the political ones, have a tendency to talk shit? Especially "women's rights advocates" from middle-east, overexaggerate. Now had she said that Homs has changed recently to become more conservative due to the revolution, I'd have agreed with her.
Last edited by KabirKuhi on Tue May 20, 2014 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

KabirKuhi
Shermin
Shermin

PostAuthor: Piling » Tue May 20, 2014 7:37 am

She is not a refugee, she wants to come back to Syria and Homs immediately after the festival.

Now concerning Homs, it depends in which district you live : for example in Aleppo, Kurds and Christians and Turks live in the same place because of their mixed-gender society and unveiled women (Kurds laugh often about the 'black ghosts' I did not invent) , and I suppose that in Homs, Christians and Allawis live together, not in Muslim districts.

But as a Kurd, living among Alawis and Christians is not comfortable (in Syria, Christians are more pro-Baath, except Chaldeans and Assyrians from Hassake who are near to Kurds).
Piling
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: KabirKuhi » Tue May 20, 2014 7:48 am

Piling wrote:She is not a refugee, she wants to come back to Syria and Homs immediately after the festival.

Now concerning Homs, it depends in which district you live : for example in Aleppo, Kurds and Christians and Turks live in the same place because of their mixed-gender society and unveiled women (Kurds laugh often about the 'black ghosts' I did not invent) , and I suppose that in Homs, Christians and Allawis live together, not in Muslim districts.

This must be recent. Niqab was uncommon until the revolution. It's deobandist/wahabi innovation. Also because kurds say it doesn't mean it's something you should say. Should I say go around calling black people "ni¤¤ers" becasue that's what they call each other? Kurds who are racist, are stupid. Don't think their racism justifies being racist.
Piling wrote:But as a Kurd, living among Alawis and Christians is not comfortable (in Syria, Christians are more pro-Baath, except Chaldeans and Assyrians from Hassake who are near to Kurds).

I don't know if I'd distinguish the alawites from muslims. They're some sort of weird twelver shiahs with influences from others, they have an ambivalent relationship to the twelver shiah clergy and scholars from the shiah heartlands. They're hated by orthadox sunni arabs for being a weird shiah group. Their banding with Christians is a peculiar alliance of necessity.

KabirKuhi
Shermin
Shermin

Next

Return to Art Cafe (Movies, Novels,Paintings, ...)