Recent Images
Random images
Welcome To Roj Bash Kurdistan 

Terrorism charge UK ex-soldier who joined YPG to fight ISIS

Discuss about the world's headlines

PostAuthor: Anthea » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:42 pm

Ex-British soldier who joined YPG to fight ISIS faces terrorism charge

The charge against Matthews is thought to be the first of its kind for returning YPG fighters.

A former British soldier who fought alongside Kurdish militants against the Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria was charged in a landmark case on Wednesday, for receiving terrorist training.

James Matthews, 43, is believed to be the first person to be prosecuted for terrorism in Britain for assisting a group helped by the British government.

Matthews was charged "with attending a place or places in Iraq and Syria where instruction or training was provided for purposes connected to the commission or preparation of terrorism", British police said.

It is very unprincipled of the British government to be taking this stance
    - June Ayteen
Hundreds of foreign fighters from countries like Britain, Canada, France, Germany and the United States have fought alongside the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) in northern Syria.

The group is a key component of the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces alliance which waged a successful campaign against Islamic State militants.

Dozens of foreign fighters have been killed. The charge against Matthews is thought to be the first of its kind for returning YPG fighters.

Matthews wore black jeans and a brown leather jacket and was greeted by a small group of supporters who then filled the public gallery for the hearing as he arrived at Westminster Magistrates' Court in London.

Speaking after the hearing, 39-year-old supporter June Ayteen told the Press Association news agency: "It is very unprincipled of the British government to be taking this stance. It is unjust."

Another supporter, 30-year-old Red Rosa, said: "I am here to support James because I think it is really inspirational when people put their life on the line to fight for this common struggle, which is really an international struggle.

"He has left his comfort in London to fight for his principles and fight for freedom," she said.

Matthews spoke only to confirm his identity and his next court hearing has been set for 1 March.

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/Ex-Br ... 1972738374
Good Thoughts Good Words Good Deeds
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

Highscores: 3
Arcade winning challenges: 6
Nationality: Kurd by heart

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Terrorism charge UK ex-soldier who joined YPG to fight I

PostAuthor: Benny » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:17 am

Sadly, this is happening in several Western Europe countries. I have here on this forum posted info about Danish national Joanna Palani who was investigated by Danish authorities for joining the fight against ISIS. Her passport was confiscated by the police so that she was unable to travel anywhere.

I think we will see more cases like these!

/B

Benny
Shermin
Shermin

Highscores: 0
Arcade winning challenges: 0
Nationality: European

Re: Terrorism charge UK ex-soldier who joined YPG to fight I

PostAuthor: Anthea » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:51 pm

Benny wrote:Sadly, this is happening in several Western Europe countries. I have here on this forum posted info about Danish national Joanna Palani who was investigated by Danish authorities for joining the fight against ISIS. Her passport was confiscated by the police so that she was unable to travel anywhere.

I think we will see more cases like these!

/B

We all agree that ISIS is a world-wide threat and anyone brave enough to join the fight against them at source, should be praised because these people are risking their live helping prevent ISIS becoming more of a threat to countries such as the UK and Denmark :ymapplause:
Good Thoughts Good Words Good Deeds
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

Highscores: 3
Arcade winning challenges: 6
Nationality: Kurd by heart

Return to World