Navigator
Facebook
Search
Ads & Recent Photos
Recent Images
Random images
Welcome To Roj Bash Kurdistan 

Kurdish Earthquakes Updates: minor quakes continue daily

A place to talk about domestic politics in Middle East (Iran, Iraq , Turkey, Syria) Also includes topics about Assyrian, Armenian, Chaldean .

PostAuthor: Anthea » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:59 pm

Today's massive earthquake

Massive deadly earthquake at the Iran-iraq Border - At least 9 people killed - November 12, 2017
Created November 12, 2017 Last update November 12, 2017 20:49 By Armand Vervaeck

Leave this page open in a browser tab as it will refresh automatically every 5 minutes but please refresh your page the first time

Special injured/fatalities report for this earthquake in cooperation with the 2017 Earthquake Impact Database

Present updated toll (which will almost surely increase the following hours) - 9 FATALITIES and 81 INJURED PEOPLE
-

Update 20:21 UTC:

Shallow thrust faulting M7.3 quake near Zagros mountains today occurred in area with significant historical seismicity, but few events of this size pic.twitter.com/Nmm80NZRcr

— Jascha Polet (@CPPGeophysics) November 12, 2017

Updates from: Earthquake-Report.com

https://earthquake-report.com/2017/11/1 ... r-12-2017/
Last edited by Anthea on Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:01 am, edited 8 times in total.
Good Thoughts Good Words Good Deeds
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

Highscores: 3
Arcade winning challenges: 6
Nationality: Kurd by heart

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Earthquake: link to reqular updates

PostAuthor: Anthea » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:41 pm

Kuwait City - Light shaking
    Erbil - Felt like I was on a water bed, being firmly shaken. Lasted less than 3 minutes
    baghdad - Light shaking
    Mangaf - It just made my chair shake. No noises.
    Baghdad - Weak shaking
    Al Taji - Moderate shaking
    Manama - Very weak shaking
    Baghdad - the fans kept moving left and right
    missan - The shaking was small to moderate, it last about 30 seconds, no dammage.
    kuwait city - 5 secondes
    Salymia - Sitting in my car at traffic light car was moving back an forth
    Kuwait - Very weak shaking
    Kuwait city - 2 tremors lasting 5-7s about 30s apart
    salmya - about 45 seconds
    Abbasiya - Weak shaking
    Salmiya - Moderate shaking
    Doha - Weak shaking
    Dubai - Nothing fell down from shelf. Lights were swinging and really felt the building shaking from 10th floor at around 10:30pm. Lot of people went outside
    Dammam - 30 min
    erbil - Moderate shaking
    Dubai - Was laying on the bed when it felt like a rocking boat; I looked at the lamps and there swinging indeed. It stayed for up to 30 seconds!
    Salmiya - Weak shaking
    Alnajaf - We are out side right now
    DUBAI MARINA - No damage. Everything in room was shaking. Lasted about 30 seconds
    Erbil - The ceiling fan was shaking and the doors were moving by self. I felt extremely dizzy.
    Saar - It was around 21:20 AST I felt the floor shaking and I knew that it was the earthquake after a while I did google search and it confirmed an earthquake near Iran Iraq border
    Hawalli - The effect is very much felt that lasted about 15-20secs. Sort of back to back shake up. Most tenants of our tower decides to go down and stay down for awhile as precaution.
    Salmiya - it felt like the building itself was swaying side to side
    salmiya - Moderate shaking
    Basra - 2 -3minutes
    Sar Qalah - Shaking lasted about 45 seconds. Adjacent drilling rig wobbled ominously and rattled loudly.
    Baghdad - No damage. Shook for about 30-45 seconds!
    Mahboula - 5 secs shake
    Abu Dhabi - Light shaking
    Samawah - I was looking through old pictures when I suddenly felt the bed rocking. The shaking lasted about 5 minutes or so. The chandelier was swaying back and forth, looking like it was about to fall. Doors were opening and closing as well.
    Khatian - Light shaking
    Sulaymaniyah - It was just like the end of existence... the EQ was extremely powerful but hopefully, thanks to god it didn\\\'t last much.
    Maidan Hawally - Light shaking
    Salmiya - Light shaking
    mangaf - 15-20 secs time: 9:24
    Tel-Aviv - Light shaking
    Dohuk - Five seconds, very strong heaves left and right
    Messila - Light shaking
    Abu Dhabi - We were sitting in the sofa and we felt the shaking.
    abbasiya - Strong shaking
    Baghdad - I was in the bed when the desk started shaking heavily, followed by the bed strongly rocking side to side, the lights were swaying. It began at around 9:20 Baghdad time and lasted almost a minute.
    Zakho - Floor was shaking, felt disoriented
    Hawally - Light shaking
    GEOFON Iran-iraq Border Region Nov 12 18:18 7.3 34 MAP I Felt It INFO
    Basra - Lasted approx 2 minutes, made my chair shake
    Erbil - Very long lasting (circ 75 seconds) of lateral shaking, moderate-strong shaking causing swaying of buildings but no damage.
    Baghdad - Strong shaking
    balad - 1 _ 2 minute.
    Taji - 30-45 seconds
    Tehran, shemiranat - Light shaking
    Kuwait City - 7 seconds
    Tehran - Light shaking
    Kuwait - Light shaking
    bagdad - back and forth movement no damage seen
    Sulaymaniyah - 10 sec.
    Baghdad - Weak shaking
    Erbil - First time in a situation like this the floor and the chair shook like its on water
    dubai - sitting on my 17th floor appartment , working on my desk, when i felt someone rocking my deskchair , it was a strong Movement !!! (arround 10:24 dubai time )
    Kuwait city - 5 seconds maximum weak shake
    Salmiyah - Moderate shaking
    Maysan - Horrible earthquake
    Ballad - It lasted about 20 seconds at peak then 1-2 minutes total. No damage to report but I\'m in the desert nothing around me felt like riding in an airplane!
    Ballad - It lasted about 20 seconds at peak then 1-2 minutes total. No damage to report but I\'m in the desert nothing around me felt like riding in an airplane!
    Bayan - Bed started shaking me and my mom woke up
    Mezzeh - Chandelier, Art, And Hanging Shaking lightly, Table shaking barely, water in a bottle was shaking but the bottle wasn\'t
    Sulimaniyah - Lasted for a good minute. House swayed fairly intensely even after the quake subsided. Heard rumbling across the city though have not seen visible damage.
    Baghdad - Nothing damaged around me but its was huge shak i never feel like this the earth was shaking and i saw trees and every thing was ahaking it was very huge we are still in shock
    Kuwait - Lights shaking, fish tank overflowed, people evacuated the building, 7-10 seconds light shaking followed by several weak aftershocks
    Kuwait - Very weak shaking
    baghdad - it lasted for about 30 to 40 seconds. Not even a slight damage. The ceiling fan started shaking, and felt my chair shaking too.
    Jabriya - 2 seconds. No damage.
    Hateen - Short shaking
    Erbil - Light shaking
    Kuwait - A moment of a swift right to left slide. At first it seemed unreal until I noticed the hanging objects were moving to confirm the experience.
    netanya - Light shaking
    Baghdad - Watched vehicles rock back and forth, light poles and palm trees sway and felt the ground shake for at least 2 minutes.
    Sulaimaniya - Moderate shaking
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

Re: Earthquake: link to reqular updates

PostAuthor: Anthea » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:56 pm

Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

Re: Halabja Earthquake: link to reqular updates

PostAuthor: Anthea » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:56 am

LATEST: 136 FATALITIES and 1691 INJURED PEOPLE

Now daylight comes to Kurdistan numbers od those lost or injured will sadly go up

Follow Link Below for Updates

https://earthquake-report.com/2017/11/1 ... r-12-2017/
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Anthea » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:13 am

Update 09:04 UTC: Detailed numbers of killed and injured people per region :

Update 08:43 UTC: The numerous, also very dangerous, aftershocks making the earthquake region a hell for the people who cannot evacuate to other areas.
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Anthea » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:35 pm

Sadly, the number of causalities continue to rise:

460 FATALITIES and 7721 INJURED PEOPLE

Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Anthea » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:19 pm

I am disgusted by the way in which people use FAKE NEWS and OLD photos on Twitter

A photo of a Syrian toddler being pulled from a destroyed building following a reported air strike in a rebel-held neighborhood of Aleppo in April 2016

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/w ... dmail.com&

A photo of a man crying because he had just lost everything in the 2016 Italian earthquake

http://nypost.com/2016/08/24/this-man-j ... l&msg=fail

There have been several others recently I have blocked but that someone would steep so low as the use the photo of this poor man crying I find EXTREMELY UPSETTING
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Anthea » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:35 pm

Posts FAKE photos

Kajal Mohammadi‏ @KajalMohammadi

Sarpel city in the #Krmashan province in eastern #Kurdistan in the ruins. Thousands are left homeless and hundreds have died and hundreds of others are wounded. There is no gov. help for these people. Share and become their support! #KurdistanEarthquake pic.twitter.com/eqryFswDEA

Photo was: An earthquake survivor searches for belongings in a collapsed house in Sankhu, on the outskirts of Kathmandu, Nepal, May 5, 2015.

http://avax.news/fact/Daily_Life_in_Nep ... -2015.html
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Anthea » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:33 pm

Why Iran/Iraq's Earthquakes Are So Devastating

In this day and age we are witnessing random earthquakes here and there across the globe. Iran lies on several tectonic plates, and the Iranian people suffer extreme conditions after each earthquake.

The reaction shown to each earthquake by the ruling regime in Iran is far different from its counterparts across the globe. Media censorship, excruciating delay in sending even minimum support and imposing a tight security atmosphere to quell any possible sign of unrest is Tehran’s response to such natural disasters.

Sunday evening a 7.3 Richter quake shook many provinces along the Iran-Iraq border, leaving at least 530 people killed and more than 8,000 injured, reports Irani's official IRNA news agency indicate. Tens of thousands of homes and apartments have been leveled to the ground.

Casualty statistics are beyond those reported by the media, according to the semi-official ILNA news agency quoting Farhad Tajari, a member of Iran’s parliament from Ghasr Shireen, a town in western Iran that suffered enormous damage.

152 aftershocks continued to wreak havoc in the first 24 hours after the initial quake. 526 villages and 137,000 people in Iran’s Kermanshah province are facing grave danger.

#Earthquake in #Iran
Relief teams are struggling to save people under rubel without any machinery & equipment. Mullahs regime noting does to rescue ppl, cross red personnel not seen to rescue ppl#Kermanshah #Sar_pol_Zahab #كرمانشاه #زلزله‌کرمانشاه#كرمانشاه #سرپل‌ذهاب pic.twitter.com/mpJayXdVWY

— mostafa.mohamadi (@MostafaMe4) November 13, 2017

The town devastated the most is Sarpol Zahab, located close to the Iraqi border. Authorities have reported the quake has changed the entire image of this already poor town with the buildings destroyed. There is still no report from many villages and Iranian regime officials failing to take any proper action.

Head of the state Public Relations Office in Kermanshah said 50% of the province’s schools have suffered serious damage, reports show.

“My entire family of 20 people, including 15 kids, are all sitting in our cars,” said Nosser in Sarpol Zahab to ILNA. “Our fuel is very low. They haven’t provided any tents or kerosene. We are freezing from the cold. There is no food.”

Reports on YouTube from this town describe the dire conditions.

The governor of Ghasr Shireen, another Iranian border town, complained of no tents being distributed to the earthquake victims, reports indicate.

“The weather is not good and people need to sleep in tents because of the aftershocks. But I don’t know why there is no sign of the Red Crescent,” Akbar Akbari said.

Reports show around 90% of residential homes in the town of Thalath Baba Jani have suffered 50 to 100% destruction. With 161 villages in this region, around 70% of the village homes have been destroyed, Akbari added.

Hospitals across western Iran are reportedly unable to provide care to the extremely high number of casualties and there is also a major shortage of ambulances.

United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres expressed his grief after the quake and called for urgent action to provide care for the earthquake victims.

Iranian opposition leader Maryam Rajavi sent her deepest condolences to her compatriots and asking especially the local youth to “rush to the aide of people in the quake-stricken areas and help those trapped under the wreckage.”

Iran has a history of devastating earthquakes and the regime failing to provide the necessary care.

On June 21st, 1990, an earthquake near the Caspian Sea in northern Iran left more than 50,000 killed and another 135,000 injured. The 7.7 Richter tremor destroyed tens of thousands of constructed houses in the area.

A December 2003 quake literally levelled the city of Bam in Kerman province of south-central Iran, killing tens of thousands of people. The Iranian regime said 31,000 perished while the opposition challenged such claims by reporting a heartbreaking toll of 70,000 people dying. This consisted of more than half of Bam’s population.

The international community and the Gulf States provided Iran with hundreds of millions of dollars in aid and dispatched dozens of relief teams. Reports, however, indicated Iran’s state forces plundering much of the aid, and dispatching thousands of boots to the area to prevent any possible protest.

In August of 2012 a double 6.2 and 6.0 Richter earthquake struck the northwestern province of East Azerbaijan, leaving more than 3,300 people killed and injured. Reports at the time showed security forces even arresting youth trying to provide aid to the earthquake victims. Authorities in Iran go the distance to prevent any reports of the true devastation reaching the media.

A week prior to that the nuclear power plant city of Bushehr in southern Iran was shaken by a quake that left at least 30 killed and reminded the entire region of another dangerous aspect of Iran’s controversial nuclear program.

Speaking of major threats, the 15 million population of Iran’s capital, Tehran, is also a prime target for devastating earthquake damage.

This major metropolitan city “is only ten percent prepared for a possible earthquake,” according to remarks made by the Iranian regime’s own Crisis Management Organization chief. More than 80% of the country is prone to natural disasters, he added.

Interesting is how the Iranian regime allocates billions of dollars for its nuclear and ballistic missile program, the domestic crackdown entities and dispatching militias and weaponry to Syria, Iraq, Yemen and Lebanon, yet fails to provide basic needs to earthquake victims, let alone reinforce buildings to withstand such disasters.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/heshmatala ... 0143ad5cda
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Anthea » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:59 pm

Iran quake survivors complain of slow aid effort, battle freezing cold

Exhausted and exposed to freezing cold, survivors of a weekend earthquake in western Iran begged authorities for food and shelter on Tuesday, saying aid was slow to reach them.

Iranian officials called off rescue operations earlier in the day on the grounds that there was little chance of finding more survivors from the quake, which killed at least 530 people and injured thousands of others. It was Iran’s deadliest earthquake in more than a decade.

Survivors, many left homeless by Sunday’s 7.3 magnitude quake that struck villages and towns in Kermansheh province along the mountainous border with Iraq, struggled through another bleak day on Tuesday in need of food, water and shelter.

Iran has so far declined offers of foreign assistance to deal with the aftermath of the tremor, which officials said damaged 30,000 homes and completely destroyed two villages.

“We are hungry. We are cold. We are homeless. We are alone in this world,” a weeping Maryam Ahang, who lost 10 members of her family in the hardest hit town of Sarpol-e Zahab, told Reuters by telephone.

“My home is now a pile of mud and broken tiles. I slept in the park last night. It is cold and I am scared.”

Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei urged state agencies on Tuesday to speed up aid efforts. President Hassan Rouhani paid a visit to the stricken region, promising to resolve “the problems in the shortest time”.

Thousands of people huddled in makeshift camps while many others chose to spend another cold night in the open because they feared more tremors after some 230 aftershocks.

In some areas, no building was left standing and those that were had been deserted for fear they could come crashing down at any moment. Houses in impoverished Iranian villages are often made of concrete blocks or mudbrick that can quickly crumble and collapse in a strong quake.

State television aired footage of weeping villagers carrying away bodies wrapped in bloodied blankets and bed sheets and scrabbling with their bare hands through rubble in search of friends and relatives.

“It was my cousin’s birthday ... All the relatives were there...like 50 people. But now almost all are dead,” Reza, who refused to give his full name, told Reuters from Sarpol-e Zahab town. He lost 34 members of his family on Sunday.

“We spent two nights in the cold. Where is the aid?”

On the Iraq side of the frontier, nine people were killed and over 550 injured, all in the northern Kurdish provinces.

LACK OF WATER, ELECTRICITY, ROADS BLOCKED

Television showed rescue workers combing through the rubble of dozens of villages immediately after the quake. But by Tuesday morning Iranian officials said there was no longer any likelihood of finding survivors and called off the search.

Hospitals in nearby provinces took in many of the injured, state television said, airing footage of survivors waiting to be treated. Hundreds of critically injured were dispatched to hospitals in Tehran.

Iran’s Red Crescent said emergency shelter had been provided for thousands of homeless people but a lack of electricity and water, as well as blocked roads, hindered aid supply efforts.

“People in some villages are still in dire need of food, water and shelter,” said Faramraz Akbari, governor of Qasr-e Shirin county in Kermanshah province.

State TV showed dozens of green and white tents dotting Sarpol-e Zahab, many containing two or three families. Groups clustered around bonfires trying to warm themselves.

“It is cold. My children are freezing. We have water and food but no tent. The quake did not kill us but the cold weather will kill us,” a woman in her 30s said.

The mayor of the city of Ezgeleh said 80 percent of its buildings had collapsed. Survivors desperately needed tents with elderly people and babies as young as a one-year-old sleeping in the cold for two straight nights.

“People are hungry and thirsty,” a local man told ISNA news agency. “There is no electricity. Last night I cried when I saw children with no food or shelter.”

Some people were angry that among the collapsed buildings were homes built under an affordable housing scheme initiated in 2011 by then-President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Rouhani has repeatedly criticised the project for damaging the economy.

“The people should build their own houses. They build better houses than those built under projects and schemes,” Rouhani said in Kermanshah, state TV reported. “I promise you, those responsible will be punished.”

Iran is crisscrossed by major geological fault lines and has suffered several devastating earthquakes in recent years, including a 6.6 quake in 2003 that reduced the historic southeastern city of Bam to dust and killed some 31,000 people.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-iraq-q ... KKBN1DC0WM
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Anthea » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:19 pm

Iraqi officials mobilize quake response, funds

The Iraqi government has approved additional funds to support areas affected by Sunday night's earthquake.

"We extend our condolences to those who lost loved ones in the earthquake," Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi said, discussing the earthquake during his weekly address on Tuesday after a meeting with his cabinet.

Abadi's cabinet "approved funds to support affected areas and established a committee."

A 10 billion dinar (about $8,584,000) "emergency fund" was allocated to the Ministry of Health for medical supplies.

"The Iraqi government is closely monitoring progress of rescue and relief efforts in all areas affected by the recent earthquake, and has put federal agencies on alert to ensure swift recovery, and to preserve life and property," stated the government on Twitter.

The cabinet formed a "working group" under the group's secretary instructing relevant ministries and bodies to carry out an assessment of the physical and human damage in the provinces of Sulaimani, Diyala, and elsewhere to address immediate needs.

As directed by Abadi, "recovery and medical teams are working with local and international partners to assess needs and to provide urgent relief to the people of Halabja, Diyala, and other areas affected by the recent earthquake," according to a tweet from the government.

The National Committee for Water Resources also met on Tuesday with Abadi to review the structural safety of dams in areas affected by the earthquake and to discuss the country's water policies.

A report on damage to the Darbandikahn Dam was presented by the Ministry of Water Resources, which was authorized to work with international companies. The dam was near the epicenter of the earthquake.

A 7.3 magnitude earthquake struck near Halabja, Kurdistan Region, near the Iran-Iraq border Sunday evening. The tremors could be felt throughout the Middle East.

Hundreds of people were hospitalized in the Kurdistan Region, while at least nine were killed in Darbandikhan and Sulaimani.

Kurdish health officals had previously announced shortages of medicines and supplies.

http://www.rudaw.net/english/kurdistan/141120176
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Anthea » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:19 pm

Private donors drive Iran earthquake relief efforts

Scenes taking place in Rojhelat, Iranian Kurdistan, are both heartbreaking images of families weeping over the graves of earthquake victims and heartwarming moments of extraordinary kindness as people literally donate the clothes off their backs.

The 7.3 magnitude earthquake that struck on the Iran-Kurdistan Region border has claimed the lives of 432 in Iran and injured 9,397, according to updated official figures released on Thursday.

The death toll is likely to climb as bodies still remain under the rubble and others have been buried without official death certificates.

The Kurdish areas that suffered the most damage were already among the poorest and most disadvantaged in the country. The large scale damage included hundreds of low-quality housing built as part of a government project for low-income families. The president has said they will conduct an investigation into the construction project.

Relief efforts are being led by the Iranian army, including the Revolutionary Guards (IRGC). Iran’s Supreme Leader urged officials to spare no effort in bringing aid, IRNA reported.

But many within the persecuted Kurdish minority have complained that aid is slow or non-existent and the armed forces are abusing the population. The only aid that has made it to some villages has come from ordinary citizens in neighbouring cities and provinces shunning government aid donation drives in favour of collecting and delivering food, water, and warm clothes themselves.

http://www.rudaw.net/english/middleeast/iran/16112017
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Anthea » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:46 pm

Aid not delivered to earthquake victims in Rojhilat

Aid material still hasn’t reached many villages in Rojhilat after the earthquake that affected the South and Rojhilat, and the Iranian government is treating the victims irresponsibly

Earthquake victims still haven’t received aid in the Kirmanshan province of Rojhilat (Eastern) Kurdistan.

The Serpolivuhav, Ezgele, Qasr-e Shirin and Daloha villages which were affected severely by the earthquake still haven’t received food or shelter aid. The aid sent to the area is reportedly stopped and stolen by the gangs there.

GOVERNMENT DOESN’T ANNOUNCE THE DEATH TOLL

The aftermath of the earthquake clearly shows the irresponsibility of Iran towards Kurdistan. Iran Aid Foundation Chairperson Pir Husên Kolîvend stated that 453 people lost their lives and 9397 people were injured, but various posts on social media show a very high death toll.

An earthquake victim who wished to remain anonymous for security reasons spoke to the ANF and said, “On November 13 alone, 400 bodies were buried in Serpolizuhaw between 07.00 and 10.00.”

A witness from the Koyik Hesen village shared images from 105 bodies being buried and said, “We now know for sure that 180 people died in the Koyik Hesen, Koyik Majida and Koyik Seyfur villages alone. These three villages have completely been destroyed.”

Qasr-e Shirin MP Ferhad Teceri spoke in the parliament and said the earthquake victims haven’t received any aid yet, and that the people and the promises for help have been forgotten. Teceri said, “We condemn the Iranian government’s attitude.”

BODIES OUT IN THE OPEN POSE THREATS

An aid worker pointed out that the people are in a very bad situation and said: “People don’t even have a tent to sleep in. Epidemics may break out due to dead animals out on the streets. In the Bizmirawa village, 18 people lost their lives and 90% of animals have perished.”

THREE CHILDREN FROZE TO DEATH

A worker with the Iranian Red Crescent said three children froze to death in Dalaho, Ezgele and Selasê Bacewanî. Less than 10% of the aid materials have been delivered to the region.

Iranian Revolutionary Guard has confiscated aid materials sent to the affected areas, and is distributing them arbitrarily.

BODIES GIVEN TO FAMILIES FOR MONEY

Another worker in the Iranian Red Cross said that families are asked to pay 100 dollars to receive bodies of their relatives in the morgue in Serpolizerhaw.

Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Anthea » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:56 am

WHO surgical teams provide treatment for earthquake victims

Surgical teams from the World Health Organization have come to Kurdistan to provide care for trauma victims of the earthquake.

"A medical team supported with three ambulances, four tents and emergency lifesaving supplies" were deployed to the Emergency Hospital in Sulaimani, WHO stated.

Three health facilities were damaged in the earthquake, and two of which remain "nonfunctional."

The health supplies are sufficient for 200 surgical operations, according to the organization.

WHO's support is in response to a request from the Kurdistan Regional Government's Joint Crisis Coordination Center, Ministry of Interior, and Sulaimani's health directorate.

Kurdish health officials had previously announced shortages of medicines and supplies.

The 7.3 magnitude earthquake struck near Halabja, Kurdistan Region, near the Iran-Iraq border Sunday evening and could be felt throughout the Middle East.

With a confirmed death toll of more than 500 people, the earthquake was the deadliest in 2017, eclipsing the one that hit Mexico City in September which killed more than 200 people.

Iranian officials estimate at least 10,000 people are injured.

http://www.rudaw.net/english/kurdistan/171120174
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Anthea » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:18 pm

Rather worrying after-shocks

Iran-iraq Border Region Nov 20 15:36 4.5

Sarpol-e Zahab, Iran Nov 20 15:35 4.5

Iran-iraq Border Region Nov 20 15:23 4.9
Last edited by Anthea on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

Next

Return to Middle East